At the High School for Community Leadership (HSCL), we have three objectives: to collaborate, to inspire leadership, and to instill community.
- usersA Culture of Collaboration
We create a culture of collaboration to support future leaders as they develop their academic, social and emotional potential to engage with peers and the broader community in meaningful ways.
- flowerCreating Future Leaders
We inspire and challenge future leaders to pursue academic excellence, while defining a vision for how they will make positive contributions to their future endeavors and communities.
- globeInstilling Community
We collaborate with parents and community partners, striving to ensure that each student develops her or his potential and graduates confident and prepared to achieve post-secondary success.
- 95% of Seniors are attending college or enlisting in the armed forces
- 91% of 2015 Graduates took Advanced Placement Courses
- 2.1 million dollars in college scholarship awarded to 2016 Graduates
We provide a rigorous, college preparatory curriculum and innovative teaching which encourages students to think independently and communicate their ideas with confidence.
HSCL offers numerous post-secondary connections, which prepare students to excel in college and succeed professionally.
- Many HSCL students work with Insitute of Writing Studies professors to compose research-based writing about contemporary world issues. We also use the beautiful St. John’s campus for summer school.
- Each student at HSCL receives access to JSTOR, a digital research library of more than 1,500 academic journals, books, and primary sources.
- Our partnership with Parsons enables students to develop skills in art, design, and business that they need to succeed in a rapidly changing society.
- HSCL students use Lynda.com to gain essential software, design, and business skills, in order to navigate technological programs with confidence and expertise.
- Naviance is a web-based resource for HSCL students and parents, that encourages and supports post high school career and college planning.
Students learn about the modern technological world through the use of Chromebooks, circuits, 3-D printers, and laser cutters in our new 3-D Modeling program.
- 23 sports, including fencing, cricket and swimming
- 10 languages spoken in our hallways
- 11 music ensembles and student-led clubs, including the Latin American Caribbean Student Union
HSCL encourages all students to participate in our numerous sports programs, after-school clubs, student-organized events, and annual celebrations.